Questions for Patients to Ask Your Surgical Care Team Before Having Surgery in a Dental Office
FDSA wants you to be informed before you have surgery in a dental office. Here are some questions that will help you make the right decision.
- Surgery carries certain risks. Know how to minimize them.
- Ask questions of your surgical care team.
- Florida Dental Society of Anesthesiology is your resource for the important questions to ask and the answers.
- Education and training of your surgical team determines the qualifications to perform your surgery.
- Team approach. Know whether your anesthesia provider is ????
- Your safety before, during, and after surgery must be your surgical care team’s number one priority.
TRAINING OF MEMBERS
Dentists who are members of FDSA receive permits from the Florida State Board of Dentistry to provide conscious sedation, deep sedation, or general anesthesia based upon their training. This training is most commonly part of an advanced post-graduate education program such as a general practice residency, oral and maxillofacial surgery residency, periodontal residency, or dental anesthesiology residency. Also, conscious sedation training may be obtained after completion of dental training by completion of a rigorous continuing education program which includes supervised patient treatment.